Monday, January 30, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 57, Line 17

I will take no trouble about it, and the people will of themselves become rich;
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

I do nothing and people become rich.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

I do not interfere, and the people enrich themselves
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

I stay out of the way,
and they prosper.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
None of us can truly enlighten anyone else -- we have enough trouble enlightening ourselves! Enlightenment, sagacity and wisdom are not characteristics which can be bestowed by one to another. We arrive at these places via our experiences in our lives in the world. And we find each in our own time at our own pace.

When I try to tell you the best methods for achieving enlightenment, I am interfering in your own process. If I stand aside, then you can reach it of your own accord.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.