Monday, October 3, 2011

A Tricky Decision

Last Friday I had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss options for my ailing left hip. As with previous consultations over the past two decades or so, I was told that, if I want a hip replacement, I certainly meet the medical criteria to have the surgery performed. However, I am also NOT at a critical point. While the hip isn't in great shape, it doesn't necessarily need to come out now.

In essence, what it really boils down to is my ability to manage chronic pain. As Dr. Teed explained, I will have frequent bouts of inflammation as various parts of the hip are sensitive to strain and even being slightly out-of-line. When inflammation strikes, I need to curtail my routine activities significantly until the pain and swelling pass.

The surgeon surprised me when he said that, if it was his hip, he would try to hold out for a number of years before having it replaced. As he figured it, if I make it to 70, chances are great that I would need to replace the replacement. Why go through the hole mess twice, he posed.

Generally, I have been thinking along this same line as well. The recuperation period can last upwards of one year and who wants to go through that twice?

But there is an aspect to my situation that makes this whole thing a tricky decision. As we all know, the president already has signed legislation that cuts over $1 trillion from the federal budget. Later this year the so-called Super Committee will begin meeting to try to find agreement on trillions more to cut. One of the programs sure to be on the cutting block is Medicaid -- my health insurance program.

As is typical with sitting politicians, the mega cuts won't really kick in until AFTER the 2012 election. Our elected officials don't wish to piss off the electorate, lest they be blamed for the deepening financial crisis and then unceremoniously booted out of office. So, the current fiscal year budget for Medicaid should be in the ballpark of what it was during the last fiscal year.

However, beginning around January 2013, all bets are off. There is no question that there will be a degree of belt tightening in terms of Medicaid. How much belt tightening will take place is anyone's guess at this juncture. It may be minimal OR it may be draconian.

If during the next few months we receive indications that it will be the latter, then I might NEED to change my mind and schedule the surgery before the next fiscal budget kicks in. Even though I might be able to make it several more years on this bum hip, the economics of the situation may force the decision.

I simply could not take the chance that, a few years down the road, surgery would no longer be an option. I don't want to find myself in a situation in which my doctors say, "You need to get your hip replaced pronto" and the Medicaid administrators say, "Sorry, but it's a no go."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.