Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tao Bible - Isaiah 44:1-4

Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen: Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen. For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring: And they shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the water courses.
~ King James version ~

The highest good is like water.
Water give life to the ten thousand things and does not strive.
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao.
~ from Verse 8 of the Tao Te Ching ~
One of the central themes of the Bible is that God has chosen a certain tribe of people as "his people." They are the prime recipients of his blessings and, like children, are punished when they are bad. And, of course, the authors of the books of the Old Testament just happen to be members of this extra special group.

As the Taoist sages illustrate time and again, Tao plays no favorites. No individual or group is singled out for special dispensations or punishments. We each live in the same world which is governed by the same laws of nature.

If you're interested in reading more from this experimental series, go to the Tao Bible Index page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.