Saturday, July 24, 2010

Daodejing, Verse 67

Daodejing - Other Voices
Compassion, Restraint, Courage
I recently enjoyed this post from Language Log.

In it, the author translates and interprets a passage by Lao Tzu, from Chapter 67 of the Tao Te Ching:

I constantly have three treasures:
Hold onto them and treasure them.
The first is called "compassion" (zi).
The second is called "restraint."
The third is "not daring to be at the forefront of the world."
Now being compassionate, one can be courageous.
Being restrained, one can be expansive.
Not daring to be at the forefront of the world, one can be the leader of the things that are com­pleted.

It reminds us to be compassionate and courageous, and to exercise restraint.

It strikes me as particularly useful right now. I am not good at exercising restraint. I'm always telling people what I think. Wouldn't it be refreshing if I didn't need to impose my will so much?
~ from Fragmented Continuity, author J, original post date: 5/8/10 ~
This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.