Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tea Time

I've discovered that I have two different reading methods dependent on the type of book I'm reading. When it comes to subject matter that is strictly historical, biographies and the wee bit of outright fiction I read, I tend to focus my attention solely on one book at a time. Whatever I'm reading gets my sole undivided attention.

Most of what I choose to read, however, is philosophical, in nature. These works are not the kind that I can plow through unabated. It's not unusual for me to read only a few pages at a time, then to sit to ponder the points raised, whether this be overtly conscious thought or something that sits quietly in my subconscious mind.

Because I'm not trying to understand a chronology or sequence of events and how each relates to the other, I often read more than one philosophical book at a time. This is the case right now as I'm at the halfway point of Do Nothing: Peace for Everyday Living: Reflections on Chuang Tzu's Philosophy by Siroj Sorajjakool and today I started into Cha Dao: The Way of Tea, Tea As a Way of Life by Solala Towler.

As to this second book, I must admit that, though Taoism and the art of tea both originated in China, I had never thought about the connection between the two! In reading through the first chapter, I can already see I'm in for a delightful journey!

One of the first points Towler makes is that the drinking of tea is synonymous with the cultivation of the Taoist mindset as both emphasize the phrase "go slowly". As the author writes, "Tea Mind means brewing and drinking tea in a slow and unhurried manner." Sounds a lot like Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu's take on life in general, doesn't it?

After I collect my thoughts a bit more, I will write a post solely about the idea of taking life more slowly and how this concept has certainly had a positive effect on my life.

3 comments:

  1. I was most privileged to recently travel to China with Solala and drink a LOT of tea. One particular pleasure was in shops being served tea, ceremonially, in little cups, many little cups full, and enjoying conversation and just relaxing. The Chinese take their tea very seriously.

    Also, a phrase my Chinese painting teacher uses over and over..."slowly, slowly." It's the attentiveness to what you're doing that produces pleasant results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sooooo cool! Here I'm reading a book and you personally know the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could go visit him...he lives in Eugene, OR. A great Taoist guy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.