Wednesday, April 28, 2010

All About Philosophy

Like too many college graduates I know, I never took an undergraduate course in philosophy. It never seemed all that interesting. Most of my electives came from the fields of sociology, psychology, history and journalism. By the time I started my Master's program, I rectified this sad situation somewhat, but my focus became political philosophy, not philosophy, in general.

Of course, since the inception of this blog, it should be readily apparent even to the casual reader that I've been exploring the world of philosophy in my later years. (I'm trying to fill in the gaps from what was omitted long ago.) Besides aiming my focus on philosophical Taoism, I've been branching out to look at other philosophical schools of thought.

To this end, I've discovered an excellent internet resource: The Radical Academy.
The Radical Academy is an analysis of the human condition as seen through the eyes of classical and contemporary thinkers in the areas of philosophy, politics, religion, science, and education. We define philosophy as the science of all things knowable to man's unaided powers, in so far as these things are studied in their deepest causes and reasons. We define politics in its widest sense to include the study of government, economics, and social theory and policy.

We discuss traditional and contemporary philosophical, moral, and religious questions; contemporary political, social, and cultural problems and policies; current scientific and technological issues and speculations; challenges to the "conventional" wisdom, "popular" ideologies, and "accepted" paradigms of our culture.

We also provide access to a wide variety of resources about philosophy, politics, and the human condition, some of which may not be in conformity with our own views. We think, however, that knowledge about competing philosophies and interpretations of the human condition is necessary in order that an individual is able to make judgments about and evaluations of other ideas which may, in fact, be in conflict with ours. This is not, to us, simply a matter of "fairness," but of intellectual integrity and scholarly diversity.
If you have an interest in exploring the ideas and concepts of western philosophy throughout the ages, this might be a good place to start!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.