Thursday, February 25, 2010

Life Is Crap!

How's that for an attention-getting title?

I often think of rather odd things in the wee hours of the morning! As I rubbed the sleepiness out of my eyes today and prepared to do my initial business, I got to thinking about the amount of waste (urine and feces) each person creates. Just for the sake of conversation, let's say we each cast off one pound. With an estimated world population of 6.9 billion, that's a lot of waste!

Of course, the other types of creatures in this world outnumber human beings and each one of them creates waste too. So, I'm sure we're talking about billions upon billions of tons per year. And that's just in the form of excrement. Add to this all the skin, hair, fur and other types of cells cast off and it quickly becomes apparent that our lives are built on crap (in the colloquial sense).

It's all part and parcel of the life process. Wherever we look, we see this continual cycle of birth to death to rebirth. So, without crap, there would be no life.

Think about that for a while...but not too long. ;>)

5 comments:

  1. To paraphrase Alan Watts. Life is just a process where we wiggle around a lot consuming food and shitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful plants and flowers grow out of crap. They need crap to flourish. Hooray for crap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FM,
    :)

    Shinzen,
    Thanks, I now have a new motto for my life -- Hooray for Crap! I should make that into a poster or a bumper sticker. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!! thanks. Bumper stickers...good idea. Spread the crap around. It works better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny that we think of it as WASTE. Not that I'm advocating this, but in China, night soil was(and still is in some areas) crucial as fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.