Friday, February 27, 2009

Some Thoughts on Vanity

If we're at all honest with ourselves, a blog is a form of vanity. It's a modern way of saying, "Hey, look at me. Look at what I can do." It's true of every blog I visit and it's just as true for me. I'm certainly not suggesting that there are not other motivations involved -- as for most of us there ARE -- but when we clear the cobwebs from our eyes, there is a streak of vanity staring back in the mirror.

I once wrote here that one of the things I like about blogging is that I seem to collect and integrate my thoughts better in writing. So, I reasoned, this format allows me the opportunity to put pen to virtual paper and then to read what I have written. But let's get real! I could very easily set up something akin to a blog on my own computer for my eyes only. I have chosen instead to put my private thoughts and words in a public forum. Vanity strikes again!

While a lot of people view vanity as a bad thing, I believe that a certain amount of vanity is healthy SO LONG AS WE EACH KEEP IT IN BALANCE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE. Of course, that's the problem we each share. It has a tendency to thrust itself to the forefront and to blot everything else out.

It's a constant battle for every one of us to keep our egos in check. Though many of us would hate to admit it, deep down almost all of us can identify with the song by Tears for Fears, Everybody Wants to Rule the World.


1 comment:

  1. If you call it vanity, it must be true for you. Although I don't see a lot of that here.
    My blogs are not about vanity at all. They are more like: my contribution to what I see as needing input.
    We each have a contribution to make. We can either try to make it, or do it for selfish ends.
    It is good to question one's motives for what one does, without being too hard on ourselves for doing what we do.
    Ego is a stupid monster, always eager and waiting to take over the show, in the name of who we are, but actually are not.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.