Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Books and Their Covers

Far too often, we're each guilty of judging a book by its cover or a person by their appearance. We make snap judgments that seem to take on a life of their own. We initially adjudge another to be good or bad and no amount of contrary evidence is apt to change our mind.

For a different look at this topic, I invite readers to read a very interesting and thought provoking article at Alternet, "Women Have Boobs -- Get Over It". It chronicles one young woman's travails because of having large breasts. Here's a brief snippet:
I liked my breasts when they first appeared. I was a 28A for a long time and, while I felt a little self-conscious about these new additions to my physique simply by virtue of the fact that most other 12-year-olds didn’t yet have any at all, I liked them. They were small and perky, in proportion with the rest of me and didn’t get me any unwanted attention.

All of this changed virtually overnight when I was 14. In the space of about three months, I went from an A to an E cup. The way I was treated by people I knew and by strangers completely changed.

My peers began to see me as "slutty," despite the fact that I had never even kissed a boy. The bitchy, popular clique of girls at school tried to recruit me, not seeming to understand why I had little interest in wearing a truly hideous amount of makeup to school and making other girls’ lives hell.

Teachers began to see me as troublesome, giving me detention for minor things. And overnight, I went from being able to walk down the street without even being looked at, to having strangers lean out of car windows to inform me that they would like to fuck my brains out.

Groping my breasts became almost a sport among the boys at school. It would happen in class, during break times, while I passed them in the corridor -- any time that I was within groping distance...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.