Thursday, November 20, 2008

Did the Butler Do It?

One of my favorite genres of TV, film and books is the detective mystery or whodunit. My two favorite TV shows are Law & Order:Criminal Intent and CSI. In younger days, I was addicted to Perry Mason, Ellery Queen and Matlock. In fact, I think I've either watched or read almost every Perry Mason case! (Interestingly enough, I've never read any Sherlock Holmes.)

I've learned that most people like whodunits because they like to try to figure out the culprit BEFORE he/she is revealed. My wife is very adept at this. More often than not, she pegs the correct person.

I am rarely able to do this and I think I know the reason why. It's never really occurred to me to try to unravel the mystery! I simply watch the story unfold and wait for the secret to be revealed. I'm sure I watch these programs or read these books as intently as others do -- if not more so --but I've just never been that interested in trying to solve the mystery independent of the storyteller.

As I've explored Asperger's Syndrome (AS), I've come to understand that the AS individual tends not to pickup on social clues. Maybe this explains why I'm ineffective at trying to guess such outcomes. More importantly, it might well explain why trying to solve the mystery is something that never would have occur to me and still doesn't.

1 comment:

  1. "(..)why trying to solve the mystery is something that never would have occur to me and still doesn't.(..)"

    Funny, I'm exactly the same. Phew!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.