Thursday, March 16, 2006

Straying From the Path

When I was a young lad, I was a certified sports fanatic. It didn't matter what time of year it was or what sport was featured on the TV -- if they broadcast it, I watched it! As I've grown older though, sports no longer seems all that important. I rarely watch or attend games and my main form of sports news is watching the highlights on ESPN. (I offer this solely as a backdrop to today's topic.)

While my wife & I worked on rearranging the living room this morning, I flipped the TV on to ESPN. There, in living color, professional boxer Mike Tyson was plying his trade. The show featured a bevy of clips of Tyson during the early portion of his professional career.

Most people are familiar with the name Mike Tyson, even those who know little about the sport or who detest it. Tyson is infamous for biting off a chunk of an opponent's ear during a fight, being married to Robin Givens and for being convicted of a raping a woman. He has become the poster child for all that's wrong with boxing.

But that's not the person my wife & I saw during his early career as shown in this television program. We saw an individual who seemed to be following a Taoist-like path. His assorted problems seem to have afflicted him once he left that path.

In the Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu talks about the art of war. While war should always be the last option chosen -- because, in war, there really are no winners -- if one must fight, there are certain principles one should adhere to.
A good soldier is not violent.
A good fighter is not angry.
A good winner is not vengeful.
from #Sixty-Eight

Mercy brings victory in battle and strength in defense.
from #Sixty-Seven
The early Mike Tyson exemplified all of these ideals. He entered the ring with little bravado. He didn't taunt his opponents. When he knocked out his ring adversary, he went to help him up and to check that he was okay. In fact, in several of these fights, as Tyson was pummeling away, he would look to the referee as if to say, "Please. Stop the fight. I don't want to hurt this guy." When the fight ended and his victory was secure, he walked away quietly.

Had Tyson remained on this path, he might have become not only the greatest boxing champ in history, but a quality human being as well. Unfortunately, as most of us know, Tyson lost sight of the path. He has stumbled and bumbled his way toward oblivion. And, try as he might, he just can't seem to find his way again.

What a pity!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. Boxing is so wrong on so many levels.

    I'll just let Bob Dylan explain:

    Who Killed Davey Moore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about the money. So true, in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.