Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Reality of Death

The reality of death has played itself out on the world stage over the past 2 weeks. Terri Schiavo finally was allowed to pass to the next realm and, this past week, Pope John Paul II took his last breaths. During this same period of time, many families had to deal with the deaths of loved ones without entering the public glare.

I didn't know either the Pope or Schiavo. Consequently, neither of their deaths touched me personally. Still, over the past week, my wife and I have had to deal with the finiteness of life within our own household.

Last Monday one of our pet rabbits -- Jack -- died. Earlier this morning, Jack's long time mate, Rose, had a horrific seizure and died as well; we believe she died of a broken heart. For some, writing about rabbits in comparison to two human "public figures" may seem trivial, but the death of any loved being -- whether human or not -- is always tough on those who remain here among the living.

As a childless couple, our animals are like our children. For us, we've lost two children in the span of less than seven days.

I don't know where the non-physical essence of beings go. I don't know if there's a heaven or hell or something else. What I do know is that two of our family members are gone and won't be coming back.

The reality of death is hard for those of us who still embrace the reality of living.

1 comment:

  1. My sympathies on your losses. That's so tragic. We too are without children and people do not realize how important our pets are to us. They're our proginy, our love incarnet. (sp)

    I appreciate your site, will read more when I have time.

    Peace

    Ogie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.