Friday, April 15, 2005

A Break from Technology

Technology isn't inherently bad; it becomes problematic, however, when we allow it take over our lives. You know you have this kind of a problem when you feel alone and naked without your cell phone, computer, ipod, or even a television.

I've been on the road for the last 4 days going to and returning from interviews in Newport, Oregon and Klamath, California. While trolling around in my first night in a motel room, I seemed a bit lost as to what to do -- My trusty computer was at HOME!

In short order though, I actually began to relish the fact that I had no computer at my disposal. So, I took my dog for a walk on the beach. It reminded of what life would be like without all of our modern conveniences.

I also spent some time staring at giant redwoods and meditating about the beauty of our natural world. In many ways, a 200-year old tree that towers above all is a lot more technologically advanced than a computer or ipod. The problem for we humans is that we take these natural wonders for granted.

For four days, I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.